Coronavirus was First Identified by Chinese Researchers With the Pathogen Behind a Mysterious Illness That Had Affected 59 people in Wuhan, a city of 11 million in Central China.
Coronavirus is a group of viruses common among animals but now confirmed that it could also infect humans.
Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has advised Nigerians to protect themselves against the new Chinese coronavirus disease.
The NCDC Director-General, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, in a public health advisory on Wednesday, stated that the symptoms of the new coronavirus 2019nCoV appeared to cause mild to severe respiratory symptoms like cough and breathing difficulties.
“from current evidence, it appears that death is a rare outcome, mostly in patients with underlying illness,” Dr Chikwe said.
Ihekweazu explained that there was no specific treatment for disease caused by the novel coronavirus yet, but many of the symptoms could be treated.
“treatment is based on the patient’s clinical condition. In addition, supportive care for infected persons can be highly effective,” He said.
He also noted that the centre was currently coordinating a multisectoral technical group in assessing and managing the risk of importing the virus to Nigeria, said “NCDC is in close communication with World Health Organisation (WHO) which is closely monitoring the situation globally.“
TRENDING: ICPC Recruitment 2020 – ICPC Employment
The NCDC boss added that while the Port Health Services unit of Federal Ministry of Health had been placed on alert and had heightened screening measures at points of entry, Nigerians could maintain some simple hygiene measures to keep safe.
He advised Nigerians to adhere to the following measures to protect themselves:
• Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water
• Cover your mouth and nose properly with handkerchief or tissue paper when sneezing and/or coughing. You may also cough into your elbow if a handkerchief is not available.
• Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing
• Avoid self-medication, report to the nearest health facility when you experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms
• Healthcare workers should always observe standard infection prevention and control measures when attending to patients and take a travel history.
Although the cure for Coronavirus is yet to be discovered, the possible ways of preventing it is available as stated above.
Information Drillers is here to bring to you current health tips that will help you stay health always. Please share.